Thursday 26 May 2011

The end of an era


Its been a while since my last post but before I fill you all in I just need to give a massive thanks to my good friend, you know who you are, who yet again put himself out & this time it really was to save a life.  He is the brunt of most of our jokes (mostly coz he gives as good as he gets, better a lot of the time) but he helped me out of a bad situation.  Its not often us men are very genuine but I can say with all sincerity, Thanks you bender!  I will fill the rest of you in when I get there, now its recap time.

The ski season is over.  I skied for the 1st time in my life & probably the last in May, I did just 1 run on the last day of the season.  The top half was amazing, true spring snow conditions, the mountain all to myself & a seasons worth of experience in my legs.  It was great.  If any of you are yet to experience spring snow its like the softest of powder days, you float through it like boarding on sugar, it’s the best.  The bottom half was quite the reverse, the sugar turned to slush, the mounds turned to mud & the dips turned to puddles.  There was a section where I had to speed over some mud, skim a slushy puddle & turn before the snow run out.  The run complete I joined the wife in a celebratory beer & reminisce of the season complete.

The last week in Val was spent almost entirely in a state of drunkenness  & 1 day with top 5 bad hangover.  On the Monday it was the wife’s birthday, so we packed up a picnic & set of to hunt for the elusive Marmot (which we shall all call the European Beaver from now on).  We went deep into the backcountry searching moist crevices & overgrown shrubbery & then there it was, the European Beaver poking out between 2 rocky lips looking all cute & like it needed a tickle.  The European Beaver satisfied we went out for, what was supposed to be a nice long meal & a sensible amount of drinks.  1 out of 2 aint bad!  After the meal we had to walk home as the buses had stopped running for the season.  I had to clear some of the lovely Italian wine from my body so we thought we might as well pop into CafĂ© Face & have a nightcap while we’re at it.  It was a very surreal experience, I’m not sure if it was the staff end of season party or what but there was only about 10 people in there & all of them were behind the bar out of there nut passing round a microphone MC-ing to the music.  We got told the drinks were on the house & was subsequently thrust 2 very big Bombay Gin’s & tonics (usually about €10 each).  They were doing roly-poly’s over the sofa’s, swapping T-shirts & generally acting every bit of drunk they clearly were.  We were in a different world to them & just couldn’t quite manage it so we carried on our Journey down to V-Spot where we proceeded to quickly leave our world behind.  The next day was our wedding anniversary & we intended to go round all the posh hotels & have a cocktail crawl, instead we went up the mountain to the Folie Douse for a very over priced & hungover lunch. 

The Wednesday was my works party.  As with the spirit of the season & the forward planning I came to expect from the job; at 9:45 I was asked if I could help out for the day & could I start at 10!  It was 1 of the best working days of my life.  I was paid to burn things & drink beer, 2 of my most favourite things in the whole world.  So by 10:30 & 2 pints down we had managed to get a raging fire, we dumped on the coals & the BBQ began.  The person I was supposed to be “helping” was swanning round on the pretence of taking photo’s so it was down to me to take all the money from the punters & give them the obligatory stamp.  It was disgraceful; some of the tramps even wanted me to stamp their thighs & chests!  We soon drunk the place dry of beer so I had to resort to the red wine.  The problem with that though was I was drinking it in pints & as fast.  I don’t know what time I made it home only that I didn’t make all the way upright.  The next day though, Oh My.  I wasn’t like death warmed up, I would of dreamed of feeling that good.  I didn’t think I was going to die or the world was going to end.   The world had ended, I had died & gone to hell then that had ended & the devil himself was released of doing evil every again as I was suffering for everybody’s past & future pain all in 1 day!  Then what made it 10 times worse?  I had to go to fucking work.   

For the next couple of days I hit the slopes getting in a bit of last minute boarding.  It even snowed when I was up on the glacier for the last time.  But all things must end & soon enough the packing was done, the car was loaded (only half as full for the return leg) & farewells were said.  It wasn’t sad leaving, we were ready to go but I don’t know.  There was so much good about it but unfortunately there was as much bad & it’s that, I suppose, that is just shame! 

No comments:

Post a Comment